Crontab Under Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Beware – if you use crontab and are upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), your existing crontab files will be DELETED by the upgrade!**(actually only moved & disabled – see comments) Back ‘em up first (yeah, I know you should always do a backup before upgrading, but this is really the only issue I found).

Also note that Leopard’s firewall seems to let everything through by default, even if that’s not what you previously had your firewall set to do.

9 Comments

1. Jacques Distler said,

November 9, 2007 at 7:36 am

Not strictly true. All your crontab files are still there in /var/cron/tabs/ . They’re just no longer USED.

2. wickedlush said,

November 9, 2007 at 9:33 am

Thank you, Jacques – that is interesting… I can see that /var/cron/tabs/ does indeed contain my old files, but I have since created new (and slightly different) crontabs – do you know where the new crontabs are stored?

3. Jacques Distler said,

November 9, 2007 at 2:22 pm

I was hoping you were gonna tell me.

Then I was hoping you were going to explain the proliferation of messages like:

Nov 9 16:20:00 golem com.apple.launchd[1] (0x11e900.cron[10402]): Could not setup Mach task special port 9: (os/kern) no access

in my system logs.

4. James said,

November 30, 2007 at 9:20 am

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the new crontabs are in /usr/lib/cron/tabs

5. wickedlush said,

December 3, 2007 at 9:03 am

Thanks, James!

6. Asteroid » Blog Archive » Backing up a 1&1 root server said,

December 4, 2007 at 11:59 am

[…] to me, doing an “upgrade” install of Leopard empties out the crontabs of all users, stashing copies in /var/cron/tabs. This deactivates your jobs without warning. This means that the […]

7. Tyler said,

December 5, 2007 at 3:40 am

You shouldn’t use cron anymore. It was deprecated in 10.4 Tiger and superseded by launchd.

8. wickedlush said,

December 6, 2007 at 8:48 am

Not *another* thing to learn…? Brain’s full :-)

OK – here’s one of many good resources online:

Thanks, all

9. Setting up cron / launchd on OS X 10.5? | Wulf said,

November 26, 2008 at 10:54 pm

[…] set up a cron job to daily-sync everything at some ungodly hour in the morning, but to my surprise OS X 10.5 does not support cron! I’ve tried setting up launchd plists to get it syncing, but am having exactly zero luck. I […]